5.26.2011

Good Fat!

Although I promised a while back to do a "mini series" on Why Fat Is Good For You - I never really did anything about it. So consider my previous post (Raw Chocolate Torte) the first of the series!
One aspect of that dessert that I just LOVE is the fact that it is full of good fat. Coconut oil, coconut butter, avocado, nuts - all of these contain fat that is GOOD for you! I'm not going to go into all of the many details surrounding "good" fats and "bad" fats right now - but I will say this... If we don't eat enough good fat our body hangs on to any excess fat we happen to have because it thinks it's being deprived.
          I will also give you this excerpt from one of my favorite "real food" cookbooks: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. She says this in her introduction, "Fats from animals and vegetable sources provide a concentrated source of energy in the diet; they also provide the building blocks for cell membranes and a variety of hormones and hormone-like substances. Fats as part of a meal slow down nutrient absorption so that we can go longer without feeling hungry. In addition, they act as carriers for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Dietary fats are needed fro the conversion of carotene to vitamin A, for mineral absorption and for a host of other processes."

Think about it - if we don't eat good fat we can't absorb all of the vitamins and minerals we need. So - go make that Torte and eat some good fats!

No comments: