7.26.2010

Going wheat and dairy free...

I'm experimenting... no wheat or dairy for two weeks. So far so good - Friday is when I can add some back into my diet.

What is the reason for this madness you might ask??? Why torture yourself and cut out some of the best things in life???

Well... I'm pretty sure I have allergies or intolerance's to both wheat and dairy - so I thought cutting it out and then slowly adding some back in might give me an idea of how sever the allergy, etc. really is. I haven't really noticed a difference in how I feel these last weeks - but it'll be interesting to see if I have a strong reaction after Friday! Also - I just wanted to see if I could do it... how difficult it would be to cut these two out. You know me... very interested in alternative diets :-) It's been hard - and I've really missed both wheat and dairy (mostly bread and cheese), but I think it's mostly been made difficult by not having a kitchen I can really use. Being in limbo in Bellingham really puts a limit on the variety of food you can eat :-)

I have had fun rediscovering a few things that I CAN eat - that I'd kind of forgotten about! Such as lovely ripe tomatoes with mayo, or just salt and pepper. REAL tacos (the corn tortilla, chopped chicken, onion, cilantro, lime type) thankfully there are a number of option for those around here! Lots of fresh fresh berries (blue berries and raspberries right now). Oh the summer options!

My sister Hannah was super sweet and made me no-bake cookies, with almond milk instead of regular. The perfect chocolate peanut butter taste :-)

Oh - did I mention that I'm cheating just the tiniest bit and still eating things like butter and soy sauce? If you really HAD to totally cut dairy and wheat out - those two would be gone too.

So, long story short - it's been an interesting experience... but it's not quite over - I'll keep you posted!

No comments: