4.14.2011

Meal #5

Meal number five - Thursday dinner

This soup was made up almost entirely of freezer stuff!
I used up:

2 qt bags chopped asparagus
1 qt bag carrot "coins"
one large container of "mystery" soup (turned out to be mostly beef and mushrooms from a crock pot roast)
the rest of the rump roast from yesterdays dinner
the rest of the large can of cream of mushroom soup from yesterdays lunch
leftover broccoli and rice soup from earlier this week
some other random leftovers that just happened to contain broccoli, beef and rice

In an attempt to do more then just dump it all in a pot, I diced up the rump roast, tossed it with some flour and salt and pepper, and fried it in some hot olive oil. It gave the meat a nice crunch even after it was added to the soup! But after that - I literally dumped everything in a big pot, added a few cups of water and just let it bubble away. I have to say - I thought it turned out to be pretty good. And these leftovers are going to make a fantastic beef pot pie tomorrow!

Dessert is in the oven - although it looks like we might be having some more soup. I'm attempting to make a kind of rhubarb strawberry crumble to use up some more freezer stuff. Only problem in we're missing some of the key ingredients for a crumble... and there is way to much liquid since everything was frozen. If I leave it in there long enough it might turn into something that doesn't have to be eaten with a spoon! I'll keep you posted...

No comments: